Shopping in Srinagar:
- Shawls :- There are three fibres from which Kashmiri shawls are made-wool, pashmina and shahtoosh.
- Carpets :- A carpet may well be the most expensive purchase from your trip to Kashmir but it is a lifelong investment.
- Wood Carving :- Kashmir is the only part of India where the walnut tree grows.
- Silk :- Kashmir has a wide range of varities in silk textile designs. ‘Chinon’ and ‘Crepe de chine’ are some of the fine qualities produced from the silk yarn.
- Copper & Silverware :- The old city abounds with shops where objects of copper line the walls, the floor and even the ceiling, made generally for the local market.
- Papier Mache :- At first glance, all papièr mâchè objects look roughly the same, but there is a price differential which depends on the quality of the product.
- Basketry:- Willow rushes that grow plentifully in marshes and lakes in Kashmir are used to make charmingly quaint objects.
- Dry Fruits:- Dry fruits like walnuts, almonds and spices like saffron, shah zira and honey are some of the specialties of Srinagar.
- Pherans:- Phiran is a commonly worn garment which is usually made of wool and has a lot of embroidery work done on it.